Northen Lights dataset
|This dataset does not meet the Open Definition.|
Northern Lights is a carbon capture and sequenstration project in Norway.
The Northern Lights dataset is available from Equinor's open data portal.
The project is licensed under Equinor's custom data sharing agreement. Note that this licence does not meet the Open Definition and is therefore not interpretable as an open licence.
It contains the following folders, which together total 81.4GB (most of which is the core data folder):
11.Core_Data(the largest folder at 64.8GB)
The list ends at number 15; there is no folder numbered 01 or 04.
Step 1: Register on the portal
- Go to [data.equinor.com] and click on LOG IN B2C (unless you are an Equinor employee).
- Confirm your email and create an account.
- Log in.
- Click on Northern Lights.
- Submit to the agreement.
- Copy the Data link from the bottom of the page. This is the SAS URL for connecting to the 'blob container'.
Note that the Forum and FAQ do not work until you are logged in.
Note also that the site wants to open a pop-up window, so make sure you allow these in your browser settings.
Step 2: Install the Azure Storage Explorer
You need the Azure Storage Explorer desktop application in order to access the Northern Lights data. This tool allows you to selectively download parts of the dataset.
- Go to Storage Explorer.
- Choose your operating system, and download the software.
- Install the software.
Step 3: Get the data
- In the Azure Storage Explorer, click on the Select Resource (the 'plug' icon) in the left-hand menu-bar.
- Click on Blob container.
- Select Shared Access Signature (SAS), then Next.
- Type a display name like Equinor Northern Lights and past the URL from Step 1 (above) into the lower text area.
- Browse to the folder or folders you want and click on Download.